Who do I ask..? part 2

Transport, Mobility & Equipment

Assist UK

Tel: 0161 832 9757

Website: www.assist-uk.org

Assist UK leads a network of Disabled Living Centres throughout England, Scotland and Wales, providing advice and information on products and equipment.


BT Including You

Tel: 0800 800 150 

Website: www.bt.com/includingyou

BT offers a number of products and services to assist elderly/disabled people, including those with mobility impairments.


Blue Badge Network

Tel: 01384 257001

Website: www.bluebadgenetwork.org

The Blue Badge Network is a membership organisation for disabled badge holders across the UK. Services include member discounts on certain relay and ferry companies, blue badge accessories and a discussion forum.


British Footwear Association

Tel: 01933 229005

Website: www.britfoot.com

The British Footwear Association is a trade association representing British footwear manufacturers and British-based footwear brands. The site includes a directory of member companies.


British Red Cross

Tel: 0844 871 11 11

Website: www.redcross.org.uk

The British Red Cross offers many services, including short-term equipment loan, disability equipment sales, short-term care in the home (e.g. after being in hospital), and help with transport (e.g. to hospital appointments). It also provides the Options for Independence service in Scotland (various services for disabled adults aged 16-64).


Disabled Living Foundation (DLF)

Tel: Helpline - 0845 130 9177 ( 10 .00am-4.00pm, Mon-Fri)

Website: www.dlf.org.uk

DLF is a national charity providing free, impartial advice about all types of equipment to olde r and disabled people, their carers and families. The website includes downloadable factsheets and a database of equipment.


Disabled Motoring UK

Tel: 01508 489 449

Website: www.disabledmotoring.org

Disabled Motoring UK is a campaigning charity for disabled drivers, passengers and Blue Badge holders.



Drivers' enquiries:

Tel: 0300 790 6801

Tax disc renewal:

Tel: 0300 123 4321

Website: www.dvla.gov.uk

The DVLA is part of the Department for Transport (DfT). It maintains registers of drivers and vehicles and collects vehicle excise duty (car tax). You may need to update your driving licence details if your health/disability changes.


Forum of Mobility Centres

Tel: 0800 559 3636

Website: www.mobility-centres.org.uk

17 Independent mobility centres throughout the UK offering advice and assessment on driving, getting in and out of a vehicle and transporting a wheelchair or a scooter in a car. Some offer advice and assessment on wheelchair or scooter selection.

Local Transport Assistance Schemes

Local Authorities may offer various local transport schemes aimed at improving transport for disabled or elderly people. These could include “Dial-a-Ride” or other community transport schemes, taxi/cab reductions or travel concession schemes. Contact your local authority for information about services in your own area.


Tel: 0845 456 4566

Website: www.motability.co.uk

Motability is a national charity to assist disabled people on enhanced rate PIP mobility component, higher rate DLA mobility component or War Pensioner's Mobility Supplement to fund a car, electric wheelchair or scooter. Motability oversees wheelchair and car schemes, and may provide adaptations and financial help towards vehicles and driving lessons.



Head Office:

Tel: 0845 130 0456

Website: www.remap.org.uk

Remap is a national charity providing one-off technical aids and equipment to disabled people, free of charge.


Ricability (Research Institute for Consumer Affairs)

Tel: 020 7427 2460

Website: www.ricability.org.uk

Ricability publishes practical, unbiased guides for older and disabled consumers based on professional research, including guides to household and mobility products and driving.


Shopmobility (The National Federation of Shopmobility)

Tel: 0844 41 41 850  

Website: www.shopmobilityuk.org

A network of schemes across the UK hiring equipment like scooters or wheelchairs e.g. for when you are out shopping. The website allows you to search for schemes by area.


Sole Mates

46 Gordon Road


E4 6BU.

Tel: 020 8524 2423

Sole Mates is a voluntary organisation that aims to ease the problems with footwear experienced by amputees or people with different sized feet. Catering for both adults and children, it offers a partner service and information on manufacturers and suppliers of odd-sized footwear. Enquirers should write enclosing an SAE.


Life, Home and Care/Carer Issues

The Accessible Property Register

General Enquiries:

Tel: 0774 9119385

Website: www.accessible-property.org.uk

The Accessible Property Register enables people to advertise and search for accessible and adapted properties for sale and rent, including private residential and social housing.


Bereavement Advice Centre

Tel: 0800 634 9494

Website: www.bereavementadvice.org

Bereavement Advice Centre is a not for profit organisation that gives practical information and advice on the many procedures that face us after the death of someone close.


Care & Repair

Tel: 0115 950 6500

Website: www.careandrepair-england.org.uk


Fold Housing Association

Tel: 028 9042 8314

Website: www.foldgroup.co.uk

Care & Repair is a charity set up to improve the housing and living conditions of older and disabled people. Services include providing information and advice about housing, repairs and adaptations, moving home and handyperson schemes.



Tel: 0161 707 1107

Website: www.careaware.co.uk

CareAware is an information, advice and advocacy service on elderly care funding issues . The site includes legal information, lists of publications and a newsletter.


Care Choices

Advice Line:

Tel: 0800 389 2077

Website: www.carechoices.co.uk

Care Choices is a leading publisher of care information and produces many of the official care directories for local authorities and councils. Call the free Advice Line to access the database of UK registered care providers, or complete the online form.


Care Quality Commission

Tel: 03000 616161

Website: www.cqc.org.uk

The Care Quality Commission is the independent regulator of health and social care in England.


Carers UK


Tel: 0808 808 7777 (Wed & Thurs 10.00am-12.00pm and 2.00 – 4.00pm)

Website: www.carersuk.org

Carers UK aims to be the voice of carers and provides information on matters relating to caring. The website includes information about campaigns, work, benefits and publications .


Cruse Bereavement Care (England, Wales, Northern Ireland and the Isle of Man)

Daytime Helpline:

Tel: 0844 477 9400

Website: www.crusebereavementcare.org.uk

Cruse Bereavement Care Scotland

National Phoneline:

Tel: 0845 600 2227

Website: www.crusescotland.org.uk

Cruse Bereavement Care is the leading UK charity specialising in bereavement. It provides free support and offers information, advice, and education and training services.


EAC Housingcare.org & First Stop

First Stop Advice Line:

Tel: 0800 377 7070

Website: www.housingcare.org

EAC (Elderly Accommodation Counsel) has combined its two websites to provide support and information on issues including how to maintain, adapt or improve homes, find care or home help services, move to retirement or extra care housing, or to a care home.


Find Me Good Care

Website: www.findmegoodcare.co.uk

Launched by the Social Care Institute for Excellence, Find Me Good Care is an online service to help people find the right care and support for their needs. The site includes a directory of homecare and residential providers, plus information on paying for care, care and the law and what to do if things go wrong.



Tel: 08458 645210

Website: www.foundations.uk.com

Foundations is the national coordinating body for Home Improvement Agencies in England. Home Improvement Agencies help older, disabled and vulnerable homeowners or private tenants to repair, improve, maintain or adapt their homes. Some also provide services to council and housing association tenants.



Website: www.globrix.com

Globrix is a property search engine that allows you to specifically search for thousands of properties across the UK by keywords such as lift, level entry shower, wet room and access features. You can also search for nearby stations, schools and outside space.


Home Heat Helpline

Tel: 0800 33 66 99 (9.00am-6.00pm, Monday to Friday).

Website: www.homeheathelpline.org

Run by the Energy Retail Association, the Home Heat Helpline is a free, central phone number for people concerned about paying their energy bills . Experts can give you practical advice on grants and how to save money on your heating bills, by making your home more energy efficient.


Independent Living Alternatives

Tel: 020 8906 9265

Website: www.ILAnet.co.uk


ILA is an organisation of disabled people providing a range of personal assistance (PA) services, for the purpose of independent living within the community.


Leonard Cheshire

Tel: 020 3242 0200

Website: www.lcdisability.org

Leonard Cheshire is the largest voluntary sector provider of care and support services for disabled people, including home care , residential and respite care, supported housing, day services, IT and work training services and the Ability Media centre, which provides training in all forms of digital media.



Tel: 020 7452 2000

Website: www.livability.org.uk

A specialist provider of residential and nursing care for people with physical and learning disabilities, Livability also offers supported living, lifestyle choices projects and accessible holiday accommodation, plus a school and further education colleges.


Mobility Friendly Homes

Tel: 08456 120 280

Website: www.mobilityfriendlyhomes.co.uk

Mobility Friendly Homes is an estate agency and lettings service that specialises in accessible and adapted properties.


Nursing Homes Directory

Tel: 07092 035131

Website: www.carehomes.net

A directory of nursing homes, the website includes information about fees, questions to consider when choosing a home and useful links.


Relatives & Residents Association


Tel: 020 7359 8136 (Mon-Fri, 9.30-4.30pm)

Website: www.relres.org

The Relatives and Residents Association provides information and support for older people needing or living in residential care and their families and friends.



Housing advice helpline:

Tel: 0808 800 4444

Website: www.shelter.org.uk

Shelter offers information and advice to those who are homeless or in housing difficulties, campaigns on the UK's housing problems and lobbies for changes in housing legislation and policies.


Warm Front

Tel: 0800 316 2805

Website: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Environmentandgreenerliving/Energyandwatersaving/Energygrants/DG_10018661

Energy Assistance Package Tel: 0800 512 012

Website: www.energysavingtrust.org.uk



Tel: 0800 512 012

Website: www.nestwales.co.uk

Northern Ireland:

Warm Homes

Tel: 0800 988 0559

Website: www.warm-homes.com

Warm Front is a government-funded scheme, which provides grants to help make homes warmer, healthier and more energy-efficient. Warm Front grants are for people who are claiming certain benefits and either own their home or rent it from a private landlord.


Grants & Funders

Access to Work

Website: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeople/Employmentsupport/WorkSchemesAndProgrammes/DG_4000347

Access to Work is a Jobcentre Plus scheme that helps meet any extra employment costs that result from a person's disability. This can include helping to pay for specialist equipment or adaptations to equipment or premises.


British Gas Energy Trust

Tel: 01733 421060

Website: www.britishgasenergytrust.org.uk

The British Gas Energy Trust is an independent charitable trust that provides grants to help individuals and families meet arrears of energy charges and other household bills and costs.




Tel: 0808 802 2000 (Monday to Friday, 8.00am-8.00pm)

Website: www.turn2us.org.uk

Turn2us is an independent charitable service that helps people access the money available to them – through welfare benefits, grants and other help. The website includes a grant search facility, benefits checker and information on a range of money management issues.